Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Cutting glass - minimum you can take off?

On Nov 14, 10:20*pm, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
NT wrote:
On Nov 14, 4:02 pm, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI

no-one wrote:
Hi,
I have been given a pane of glass to replace a broken window but it
slightly to big. I'd like to take off 3-5mm but is this possible? What
is the minimum width of glass each side of a scored line that you need
in order to cut it cleanly?
TIA
I know it's not a very 'DIY' answer -
but, faced with that possibility, I think I'd go to my friendly
local glass supplier and buy another piece - cut to the right size!

It's simply not worth the hassle (& cut fingers!) -
unless it's a very unusual piece of glass (rather than
bog-standard clear).

About the only 'tidy' way to do this is with diamond grinder used wet
(I use one all the time for stained-glass work) - but it's a hassle by
any other means - and potentially dangerous...

You could always bodge it - and take a router / chisel / stanley knife
to the window frame - assuming it's wooden.... - but that's likely to be
just as much trouble.

As another poster said, if the 'free' piece of glass isn't 'new' then
it can be a mare to cut...

Adrian

maybe you'd know why a lot of localised chipping happened around the
cut line, including a 1" x 0.5" lump coming off when I tried to cut a
jam jar on a wet diamond table saw (a tile saw). I took it _very_
gently, but the result was still very poor.

cheers, NT

I had similar results with a tile saw and a wine bottle.

The grit on the blade on my lapidary saw
(which works very well with glass)
is much less coarse than the tile saw blade - I'm guessing that
the very coarse grit causes the glass to shatter rather than cut cleanly....

The lap saw blade is also slower.... again, down to the finer grit...

Adrian

right - cheers

NT