Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default What Size Electric Drop Is This?

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message
m...
I'm curious what size the drop between utility pole and top of the service
entrance is. I'm *not* taking any actions based on answers given.

Single family home built in 1957. There's a solid support / neutral with
green oxidation so I presume it's solid copper. I checked with a magnet
see if it might be copper-coated steel but no magnetic attraction. It's
.15" thick. The two "hots" have smooth shiny black insulation with no
writing that I can see and they are .30" OD. I believe them to be solid
as
well. Does the neutral have to be the same as the hots (no relying on the
ground to carry unbalanced)? I'm guessing 6AWG although I see a listing
for 7AWG but I've never heard of odd sizes in practice.

There are two main breakers: A double 30A feeding the dryer outlet
directly and a double 50A feeding the rest of the panel.

The size the utility company uses, has no bearing on the size the
electrician uses at your house. Chances are it's an old service with hard
drawn #6 copper, and the house has a 100 amp service. I've connected 2/0
copper to #6 from the utility company for a 200 amp service. They play by
different rules