Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow TheOldFellow is offline

Default Cutting glass - minimum you can take off?

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:04:15 +0000
no-one wrote:

Hi,

I have been given a pane of glass to replace a broken window but it
slightly to big. I'd like to take off 3-5mm but is this possible? What
is the minimum width of glass each side of a scored line that you need
in order to cut it cleanly?

TIA

1-2 mm is do-able with a coarse corundum stone (cheap oilstone) used
with water as a lubricant, the problem is holding it without cutting
your arm off. So you could try it.
Old blanket on the bench - sheet on top - blanket turned over so you
can trap it in the fold, stone held in gloved hands - very thick leather
ones, and go slowly.
This is how you dress safe the edge of a glass sheet that's to be used
for a tabletop.
It the glass is toughened, not chance at all, all cutting must be done
before toughening.

R.