Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stranded vs solid wire

On 11/13/2009 5:51 PM Smitty Two spake thus:

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

You've made a convert out of me. From now on I'm going to use those
receptacles, instead of the el cheapo wrap-the-wire-around-the-screw types.

Yeah, they're OK, but be forewarned: For solid wire, you have to torque
the living **** out of that clamp screw if you want to end up with a
connection that's more reliable than the infamous backstab. I installed
several of those in my g.f.'s old house, and the mere folding of the
wires as I pushed the receptacle back into their boxes readily loosened
several, even when I thought I had the clamps plenty tight.

So are they really more reliable? Sounds like they might not be. (Or
perhaps not without the required torque screwdriver?)

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet