Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Stranded vs solid wire

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 11/13/2009 6:39 AM Pete C. spake thus:

Existential Angst wrote:

Apropos of the recent thread on wire nutting stranded with solid,
are there any inherent advantages of one over the other? #14-#10.

Like everyone else said, stranded for flexibility pulling through
conduit and whatnot. For termination at receptacles and the like, get
the back wire type devices, not to be confused with the push wire type
which suck. The back wire have a hole you stick the wire in and then
tighten the screw which clamps the wire solidly. This is similar to
terminals in plugs and works well with stranded wire.

You've made a convert out of me. From now on I'm going to use those
receptacles, instead of the el cheapo wrap-the-wire-around-the-screw types.

Yeah, they're OK, but be forewarned: For solid wire, you have to torque
the living **** out of that clamp screw if you want to end up with a
connection that's more reliable than the infamous backstab. I installed
several of those in my g.f.'s old house, and the mere folding of the
wires as I pushed the receptacle back into their boxes readily loosened
several, even when I thought I had the clamps plenty tight.