Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default 48" florescent tube problem

jeff_wisnia wrote:
dgk wrote:

Then, if the starter isn't the problem, I replace the ballast, or
maybe the whole fixture. I think Tony suggested the fixture, and it's
likely what I'll do. Ballasts at Home Despot are $15 - 30, most likely
the $15 one. Single fixture 48" is $19.

But those $19 fixtures are usually pure crap and fail rather quickly. If
the present fixture and its sockets are in good shape I'd go for
replacing just the ballast.

I bought and installed 12 2 bulb fixtures in my garage/shop. Bought
them at WalMart for under $13 each. They are Lights of America brand, I
know when that company was new they had some pretty bad stuff, but it
seems a lot better now. All electronic ballasts, no hum what so ever,
and in the summer heat I left them on for 2 1/2 days to give them a
"burn in" test. No failures. Oh, I went to L*wes and bought a case of
the energy saver bulbs that are made to go in that fixture. They light
fairly well in the cold also and don't take long to get to full
brightness as they warm up. They aren't made like old ones but none
fell apart, and I've even accidentally given a couple a good wack with a
2x4.