Posted to sci.electronics.repair
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default Printer Overhauls?

Per Jeff Liebermann:

This is a pretty good representation of the page:
http://tinyurl.com/ykkjvqv

Yech. My guess(tm) is that there's toner and crud everywhere, mostly
in the transfer roller. It's not repetative so it's either coming
from multiple filthy rollers. If it were an electronics or laser
scanner failure, it would print black or white, not gray.

Rings true to me. Dunno when I bought the printer, but it
must've been at least 10 years ago and it's never, ever been
serviced or had the toner cartridge replaced. It's for home use
and I don't print all that much.

1. How many pages are on the printer test page?
http://www.mlsd.net/helpdesk/docs/hp4000.pdf

I don't see a "Test Page" in the menu map - except for "PRINT
PAPER PATH TEST" which produces one page.

There is a "PRINT CONFIGURATION" which produces two pages: one
for the printer and one for the JetDirect card.

2. Are there any stripes on the *BACK* of the page?

Yes, but very faint - maybe 5% of what's on the front.

3. Is there toner all over the inside of the printer? Have you been
using refilled toner cartridges, which are often overfilled with
toner, and dump toner everywhere? Have you moved the printer with the
toner cart still inside? Is there loose toner on the paper that
smears off when you rub it with your finger? If you're not sure if
there's toner all over the printer, just take a piece of towel paper,
add some alcohol, and wipe the black plastic area under the fuser.
Stay away from the transfer roller. If the rag comes out black, it's
toner.

Original toner cart. Can't recall if the printer's been moved.

Gotta find out what the fuser looks like. The pics and text in
/HP_4000_FUSER.pdf arent' getting it for me. Not enough def in
the pix and the text isn't enough. This is a valuable
exercise, though. Before I guy any kit, I'll review the
instructions first to see if they're clear enough.

I wouldn't say toner is "all over" by any means, but there is
some on one of the rollers - which, when I eyeball it, looks
suspiciously like the pattern on the pages. I *think* it's the
transfer roller.

4. Is this with a new toner cartridge? Have you tried a different
toner cartridge? Did the stripes start when you replaced the toner
cartridge?

5. Are you using MICR toner? Just curious as I've noticed that it
tends to make a bigger mess than ordinary toner.

6. Have you inspected the fuser assembly?
http://www.imagingsupplies.com/fuser-assembly-instructions/HP_4000_FUSER.pdf

7. Do you have an air compressor? If so, use it (outside the house).

I'm still recommending wholesale replacement of the rubber parts and a
general cleaning.

I'm a believer: Replace everything except maybe the fuser and
blow it all clean while doing the replacements.

Thanks for the help. You have de-mystified this issue for me.
--
PeteCresswell