Posted to uk.d-i-y
JimK[_2_] JimK[_2_] is offline

Default waterproofing a barn built into the hillside

On 13 Nov, 20:22, Catherine Davis wrote:
On 13 Nov, 20:12, JimK wrote:

On 13 Nov, 17:22, Catherine Davis wrote:

Latest idea is to dig a
channel around the inside base of the walls, erect an inner wall and
fill the space between with gravel to allow the water to seep through
and then flow along the channel and we'll drill a hole for a pipe
through the wall each down hill end of the barn, and lay a pipe to a
soakaway. Would this work?

Should do - sounds exactly like my house... are you thinking of making
an offer :)))

ours has a block interior wall creating a large cavity wall if you
will (you can get in it at a squeeze) at GF level.
At it's base is a formed concrete channel (below the "working"
concrete floor (& DPM) level in the rest of the GF)
Excess water that permeates thru is collected and drains away along
the channel into a convenient drain thence out to a soakaway.

One possible snag is how to effectively "tank" the exterior face of
the new interior block wall (if you see what I mean) - If space is
tight (how big is the barn and can you spare the space for blockwall
and cavity?) how will you tank it effectively? Suppose a "curtain" of
thick polythene dangling from the top of the new inner wall could
direct any more severe water penetration down into the channel but in
say a narrow cavity how will you ensure it is straight /gets to the
vertcial level where it will be needed......

In any case I wouldn't fill such a cavity with anything otherwise you
may find it bungs up in the future....or bridges damp across from day
one...

Cheers
JimK

Thanks for the reply. what gap would you recommend? I don't think I'd
need to waterproof the exterior of the inner wall, it is a very slow
trickle even on the wettest days, hopefully the water would run down
the inside of the exterior wall, into the channel and through the wall
via a pipe to the soakaway

10,000,000 Euro question... do youmake it big enough to squeeze into
if the worst should happen or as small as poss to save interior space
(a la membrane tanking described earlier)?

NB we've never had a dead rat in ours - why would they be interested?
no food, no warm habitat? nah you'll be alright in that regard I
reckon- make the drain a big 4" interceptor "U bend" jobby and it'll
take a lot to bung it up, access to the drain would be an advantage
for worst case scenarios tho... you don;t want to be ripping whole
(wet) walls down to unblock drains.....

JimK