Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Hanging a split jamb prehung door problem

On Nov 13, 2:08*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Jack wrote:
There is a problem with the wall.

Unfortunately, I left out an important piece of info. *The door opening
is near a corner. * The hinge side is on the corner. *I put a
straightedge horizontally on the wall, and the corner side is high,
causing a gap of about 3/4". * To describe it best, it looks like the
wall is concave. *The corner bead is built up a bit which also appears
to be a problem. *I need to redo the corner first before moving ahead..

This is what I think happened: *I installed the hinge side first. *I
made sure the hinge side was plumb, and the casing was laying flat on
the hinge side. *When I tried to "pull in" the doorstop side, it caused
some frame twist because the doorstop side is not on the same plane as
the hinge side. This put the top of the door about 1" away from the
doorstop.

At any rate, I removed the door and will start over tonight. *As I
mentioned, I've never put in a door before. *It's been a great learning
experience, and I really appreciate all your advice.
Thank you.

"Jack" wrote in message
For the life of me, I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong while
hanging the door. *The bottom of the door hits the striker side first
with about an 1" gap at the top. *The hinge side is plumb. *The walls
appear to be plumb and flat. *The door slab itself is not warped.

I've never installed a door before, so any advice would be appreciated..

The first 2 or 3 are hard. After that you can do them in your sleep. As
you have discovered, the RO has to be square, and the sides parallel.
You have to use the level not just in the opening, but on the face of
the finish wall. A 4' level makes a pretty good strait edge to gently
slide up and down the wall on both sides of doorway opening, to make
sure you have flat surfaces for the casing to land on.

Hey, we've all been there. Go slow, and don't drive the nails or screws
home until the door swings right, and all the cracks look right.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

"The first 2 or 3 are hard. After that you can do them in your
sleep"

I'm about to order my first entry door. I've hung interior doors, one
slider, and a bunch of windows.

I was going to pay one of the 'door stores' to supply and install my
front door and rationalize it based on the tax credit and the
warranty.

However, when my window supplier (the local Norandex outlet) quoted me
30% off list, which puts it at basically half of what the "material
and installation" quotes came in at, I decided to do it myself.

In fact, his list price was less than the "materials only" quote I got
from one of the 'door stores', so at 30% off, it's a deal I just can't
pass up.