Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Stranded vs solid wire

Bob Villa wrote:
On Nov 13, 5:44 am, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
On Nov 12, 10:07 pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Awl --
Apropos of the recent thread on wire nutting stranded with solid, are there
any inherent advantages of one over the other? #14-#10.
Stranded is more flexible, an advantage if you have to pull long runs in
bends in EMT, but I find it a pain when connecting outlets, etc.
Stranded can be dicey-er with nicks, missing strands.
But, stranded might give more contact area under screws, in breakers, etc.
At HD, stranded is $5 more on 500 ft coil of 14 and 12: $25 to $30, and $40
to $45.
BX/romex comes which way? Both?
Who uses what and when?
--
EA

I know most of you are talking for home use, but never use solid where
where are a lot of vibrations such as cars, boats and planes. Solid
will break, whereas stranded won't.

Hank

No one mentioned the fact that stranded wire, at the same diameter,
can carry more current.

I won't get into that.

And you could tin the ends of stranded for termination.

By doing so you take away flexibility of the stranded wire so right at
your connection it is more likely to fail. As much as I hate crimped on
wire connectors and always believed soldered was better than connectors,
where there is a lot of vibration they do last much longer than soldered
on wires. Can someone check with NASA?