Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Stranded vs solid wire

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Existential Angst wrote:

Awl --

Apropos of the recent thread on wire nutting stranded with solid, are
there
any inherent advantages of one over the other? #14-#10.

Stranded is more flexible, an advantage if you have to pull long runs in
bends in EMT, but I find it a pain when connecting outlets, etc.

Stranded can be dicey-er with nicks, missing strands.
But, stranded might give more contact area under screws, in breakers,
etc.

At HD, stranded is $5 more on 500 ft coil of 14 and 12: $25 to $30, and
$40
to $45.

BX/romex comes which way? Both?

Who uses what and when?
--
EA

Like everyone else said, stranded for flexibility pulling through
conduit and whatnot. For termination at receptacles and the like, get
the back wire type devices, not to be confused with the push wire type
which suck. The back wire have a hole you stick the wire in and then
tighten the screw which clamps the wire solidly. This is similar to
terminals in plugs and works well with stranded wire.

Those are fantastic outlets/switches! I don't know if HD carries these --
do they?
I'm sure they are much more expensive than yer 50c HD stuff. The few I've
seen looked really high quality.
--
EA