Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Sapele finish problem

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Thanks. I was suspecting the oil as the problem but I really like the
depth it adds t the wood. The Sapele is very porus and soaked it up
well. Maybe I'll try going with a BLO job.

I dunno...what particular oil product did you use? Most of the tung oil
preparations do have driers; in general doesn't one have to look
specifically for a product that doesn't? I've generally used the ol'
"tried 'n true" Minwax Antique Oil since I started w/ it 30+ years ago
when didn't know anything at all and have never been particularly
dissatisfied so I just keep on keepin' on...

As said, I've not had any to actually work on, but sounds to me more
like the issue of porosity than the finish not actually curing.

The surface prep w/ the sealer or a cut shellac first instead of later
would seem to me certainly worth a try...

But, of course, that's all un-swag speculation...