Posted to uk.d-i-y
Catherine Davis Catherine Davis is offline

Default waterproofing a barn built into the hillside

On 13 Nov, 19:44, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
It happens that Catherine Davis formulated :

We have been pondering on how to tackle the problem of keeping the
barn dry (to make it habitable) The back wall is built into the
hillside, a small road runs behind it about 1.5m above floor level.
The hillside is clay and during the winter or in wet periods water
seeps through the walls and spreads over the barn floor. We have
discounted digging a deep trench behind the wall, as the road is in
constant use and it might cause a collapse. Latest idea is to dig a
channel around the inside base of the walls, erect an inner wall and
fill the space between with gravel to allow the water to seep through
and then flow along the channel and we'll drill a hole for a pipe
through the wall each down hill end of the barn, and lay a pipe to a
soakaway. Would this work?

Something similar....

Floor was good solid concrete and some 3x3 galv angle iron was bolted
down to a sealant on the the floor, all the way around the wall edges
leaving a gap between angle and wall. The water ran to a sump, from
where it was pumped out. Filling a channel with gravel, could mean the
gravel might tend to choke up with sediment.

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

thanks, I realise now I don't need gravel in the cavity.