Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow TheOldFellow is offline

Default Slightly OT - Wheely bin compactors

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:42:42 +0000
Tim W wrote:

Ah - the joys of crap councils...

Commiserations. I have to say that Allerdale (Cumbria) where I live
are absolutely fabulous about bins. (They have their crap points too of
course.)

Three Bins:

Big Green one for Compostable Garden stuff. I put small trees in it.
Small Green one for any paper or card. SWMBO has a Fairtade stall at
church, lotsa cardboard.
Small Black one for Landfill stuff.

Collection: black every week, green bins alternate.

They also run the most fantastic modern recycling centre I have ever
seen at Flusco, near Penrith. With helpful friendly staff who fall over
themselves to help you get it right, and muscle things out of the car.
If you are in the Lakes on holiday, it's almost worth a visit!

We find it hard (two people) to put more than one swing-bin liner in the
black bin - mostly it's over-packaged food containers that can't be
cleaned for recycling (and dead CLS bulbs - no only kidding). We do
collect all the cans, glass and plastics to take to Flusco when we are
passing anyway - it's a joy to visit it with a car load. And the
council gave us a plastic composter for the garden, so all the waste
green food goes in there as well as some grass cuttings.

I kept filling the Garden bin, so I rang the council, who's
response was 'OK, we'll send you a second one' - two days later it
arrived.

Guys, move to Allerdale! Or at least send your councillors here for
some education.

R.