Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Mark is offline

Default replacement front door decisions

"postmaster @ stejonda" wrote in message

We've had an Anglian uPVC front door & sidelight for just over 10 years.
The locking mechanism has become troublesome and I've had to
adjust/tighten it several times and have latterly had someone come out
under our home insurance domestic emergency cover when we were faced with
being unable to lock/unlock it.

I've just been quoted £125 by Anglian for them to come out and take a look
at it but they commented that 'as it's so old there will no longer be
parts available for it' so they doubt there'll be anything they can do!
This sounds like cr*p as companies like www.multipointlocks.co.uk,
www.locksonline.co.uk, www.upvcdoorlocks.co.uk, www.securityhardware.co.uk
& www.upvc-hardware.co.uk all sell uPVC mechanisms.

However, I have doubts that the door is worth spending further money on &
SWMBO would prefer a hardwood door & frame.

The nearest hardwood door supplier/fitter quoted reasonably and appeared
competent at first but in a conversation yesterday told us that the frame
& door would be untreated when fitted (with the door furniture attached to
the untreated door???) and we would be left to complete that.

I'm unconvinced that sealing the bottom edge of an external door in-situ
is feasible let alone the usual way of working???

Thoughts/suggestions/recommendations etc. welcomed...

You should consider a Fiberglass door as a replacement to wood or upvc.

http://www.thermatru.com/products/entry/

-