Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default Stranded vs solid wire

Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

Apropos of the recent thread on wire nutting stranded with solid, are there
any inherent advantages of one over the other? #14-#10.

Stranded is more flexible, an advantage if you have to pull long runs in
bends in EMT, but I find it a pain when connecting outlets, etc.

Stranded can be dicey-er with nicks, missing strands.
But, stranded might give more contact area under screws, in breakers, etc.

At HD, stranded is $5 more on 500 ft coil of 14 and 12: $25 to $30, and $40
to $45.

BX/romex comes which way? Both?

Who uses what and when?

I don't recall solid conductors in an automobile. Stranded wire is less
subject to metal fatigue from bending or vibration. The smaller a
conductor is, the farther it can flex without bending the metal.

Stuff with 7 or 19 strands is usually classified as Rigid Stranded Wire.

Flexible Stranded Wire usually has 49 strands or more. I'd hate to try
to connect the flexible stuff with a wire nut. Until recently, the NEC
required crimping for it. Now there's an approved screw terminal.