Posted to alt.home.repair
Sanity[_5_] Sanity[_5_] is offline

Default OT - Rockslide on Highway Video

"Tony" wrote in message
On Nov 11, 6:24 pm, Tony wrote:
Red Green wrote:
OT since it didn't cream a house.
http://www.weather.com/multimedia/vi...=15704&from=hp...
Cool. There is no video on the one closer to me in NC close to the TN
border on I40. They are guessing 3 to 4 months until they can open I40.

http://www.wral.com/traffic/story/6278952/

I saw that on the Weather Channel yesterday. Quite spectacular.

I heard that the original route for I40 cut across the mountains at a much
easier spot but the county didn't want it there and fought it. So instead
they used the "alternate route" through a different county. And when they
were trying to build I40 through that alternate route, they had many rock
slides that delayed the project many times. It was a mess before it was
built. A couple years ago in the same general area, they had half of the
4 lane road get washed out in some heavy rains. That took months to
repair also. Glad I don't often use that route.

They had a choice of routing it through French Broad River gorge which was a
better and safer route or Pidgeon Forge Gorge which routed all the traffic
through touristy Gatlinburg and Pidgeon Forge shopping. The politicians from
Gatlinburg and Pidgeon Forge won out against the recommendations of the
engineers and the interstate highway was built in one of the worst areas for
rockslides. Isn't business and politics wonderful?