Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default gasoline for lawnmower

Phisherman wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:17:12 -0800 (PST), Doug
wrote:

OK, I've spend some bucks to get my Murray carb cleaned out, and I'm
told that I can avoid that problem (though it's taken ten years to
happen ...) in the future by using appropriate, well seasoned gas.

I'm told (1) to use Sta-Bil or equivalent in my gas, (2) I really
should use 92 octane -- the "good stuff", and (3) I was told
separately to throw in some "lead substitute" as well.

So, what's the real deal here? The stabilizer is, I know, to keep old
gas from gunking up the engine, but what about the others? I need a
gasoline recipe for low maintenance and reliable service. I don't
recall the Murray instructions saying anything about all this stuff.

The better high-grade gasolines have cleaners already mixed in. Avoid
gasoline additives, Sta-Bil-treated gas is good. Keep the area
around the gas cap clean. Replace filters each year.

In the US, the government stepped in long ago and makes sure all grades
and brands of gasoline have cleaning agents and are not supposed to need
any other store bought additives. How often do you hear about actual
clogged fuel injectors these days? I've never had a clogged fuel
injector and I use the cheapest 87 octane I can find. I don't know of
anyone in the last ten or more years that has had a clogged fuel
injector. Do you?