Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default OT(?): Could somebody make a metal shaft for me? (for payment of course)

In message , R
writes

"Mathew J. Newton" wrote in message
m...
Hi all,

I am hoping some kind and able soul out there with a lathe and/or milling
machine might be able to help me out here....

At the risk of sounding like I've got too much spare time on my hands I
am in the middle of project building a network-enabled cat feeder. The
current design is based around a cereal dispenser driven by a high-torque/
low-revs motor, the latter being controlled by a modified Cisco switch.

The following diagram shows roughly what I am doing from a mechanical
perspective:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/feederdiagram.png

The cereal dispenser contains a rubber flapper mechanism which
accommodates a plastic shaft connected to a knob. Whilst I have managed
to separate the shaft from the knob and connected everything up I am
concerned that over time the high torque required when food gets caught
in the flapper will cause the connection to the brass coupling to fail.
This is based on the fact that the plastic shaft is rather soft and is
not held all that firmly by the grub screw in the coupling. I have
considered inserting a metal shim of some sort but I really can't see it
lasting.

Hence, I am wanting to replace the plastic shaft with something made out
of metal. Unfortunately whilst my apprenticeship days taught me the
skills to do this I do not have access to the necessary machines to do so.

Would anybody be able to help me out here? That kind person would be
suitably compensated as required. I have made a drawing showing the
necessary dimensions (using Word - my teachers would not have been
impressed!):

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/shaftdrawing.png

As you can see, the coupling to the motor (right-hand side) is required
to be smaller the main shaft - I could not find a shaft coupling any
bigger than 6mm (the motor shaft is also 6mm). The rather strange
(specific) dimensions of the main shaft (which is fully inserted into the
flapper body) is, I believe, a result of it being US-made and hence of
imperial measurements.

Happy to provide further info and clarification if required. Indeed I am
all ears to alternative ideas too and/or suggestions as to who/where
might be able to make this shaft for me.

Post an "OT" request on Uk.Rec.Motorcycles and await "WUN" to appear......

Ah yes - Nigel has cats ...

--
geoff