Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Chris is offline

Default roof framing question

"George" wrote in message
On the current series of This Old House, they're (among other things)
putting a two-story, one-room-wide-ish addition on a house. The
addition has a gambrel roof, at right angles to the main roof.

For the ridge on the addition, they're using a double 2x12. This seems
kind of massive, to me. For instance, our (old) barn (not large, but
way bigger than their addition), also has a gambrel roof, and just a
1-x-whatever for the ridge board.

I'd be interested in any thoughts on this.

Thanks,
George

They used two LVLs for the ridge board. Much stronger then 2x12. There is a
lot of weight that this ridge will carry unlike your barn.

Chris