Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Ping Larry Jaques

basilisk wrote:
"diggerop" toobusy@themoment wrote in message

No problem at all. It's almost as if we are bilingual, with a
language we understand among ourselves, (almost with the makings of
a dialect,) which can prove confusing for others, along with
speaking straightforward English. (It really is dying out though
and I suspect, some of our unique Aussie character with it.)

Almost like my Scottish and Irish forebears, who spoke who spoke
good English but would lapse into a local dialect among family and
friends. I can still remember an occasion when I was very young and
I'd broken some ornament in my old Scottish grandmother's dining
room. I thought I was in for a tongue lashing or worse, but she
merely said 'Och laddie, dinnae fash yoursel" which loosley meant
"that's all right son, no need to be upset over it."

I had a visitor from Scotland by last Saturday, I think he must have
laid the dialect on thick just for my confusion and his amusement,
when it came down to business, I noticed most of the incomprehensible
bits dissappeared and we communicated just fine. I will say that I
enjoyed listening even if I couldn't make out a lot of the