Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gasoline for lawnmower

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:24:46 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:17:12 -0800 (PST), Doug
wrote:

OK, I've spend some bucks to get my Murray carb cleaned out, and I'm
told that I can avoid that problem (though it's taken ten years to
happen ...) in the future by using appropriate, well seasoned gas.

I'm told (1) to use Sta-Bil or equivalent in my gas, (2) I really
should use 92 octane -- the "good stuff", and (3) I was told
separately to throw in some "lead substitute" as well.

So, what's the real deal here? The stabilizer is, I know, to keep old
gas from gunking up the engine, but what about the others? I need a
gasoline recipe for low maintenance and reliable service. I don't
recall the Murray instructions saying anything about all this stuff.

Use fuel without ethanol. In Canada that means Shell Gold.
Not sure about in the USA. LL100 AvGas works good too, but not easy to
get your hands on if you don't have a plane.

Where can you buy gasoline without ethanol? That was a "smart fix" to
contaminate our gasoline and raise the price of corn.