Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Suspended Drywall Ceiling

RickWeb wrote:
Hi,

I have an idea for my basement ceiling and was wondering if anyone has
done something similar. I want access to the wires, pipes etc in the
basement ceiling and do not want to use the typical t-bar ceiling.

I was thinking about making ten I-Beams about 4 or 5 inches in height
out of wood and installing then to my floor joists. They would be
spaced about 24" apart. I then plan to rest a piece of drywall (about
26" wide) on the top edge of the bottom plate of each I-Beam. The
drywall would be suspended and easily removable. The bottom plate of
the I-Beam is then stained to match the fireplace mantle, wet bar, and
built in book shelfs. I will need about ten I-Beams at 12 feet in
length (think of these as Main-T's) and I will then place shorter
wooden I-Beams as cross T's.

Anyone see an issue with this method? My only concern is the sagging
of the drywall. If it is spaced no more than 24" apart, do you think
it will sag?

So...wooden I-beams like below with drywall resting on the lower plate
of each I-Beam. That's it.
__ __
drywall

Thanks,

If you really want to do that you'll need something stiffer than
drywall. Furniture-grade plywood maybe?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.