Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default gasoline for lawnmower

Doug wrote:
OK, I've spend some bucks to get my Murray carb cleaned out, and I'm
told that I can avoid that problem (though it's taken ten years to
happen ...) in the future by using appropriate, well seasoned gas.

I'm told (1) to use Sta-Bil or equivalent in my gas, (2) I really
should use 92 octane -- the "good stuff", and (3) I was told
separately to throw in some "lead substitute" as well.

So, what's the real deal here? The stabilizer is, I know, to keep old
gas from gunking up the engine, but what about the others? I need a
gasoline recipe for low maintenance and reliable service. I don't
recall the Murray instructions saying anything about all this stuff.

The only think I've ever done was to run mine really dry at the end of the
season to make sure that there is no gas left to go bad. I usually include using
the choke or primer as it starts to die to keep it going as long as possible to
make sure it is as dry as possible.