Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default O/T: One Down

Greg G. wrote:
J. Clarke said:

Greg G. wrote:

At one time, they served a purpose and helped improve conditions for
some mightily downtrodden workers. Self-serving thugs are not
something I cater too, however. Even the NEA is suspect at this
point.

If you mean the teacher's union and not the Federal arts supporter,
they've been suspect forever. I remember when I was a kid, the day
before they went on strike, my algebra teacher told the class "we're
striking to improve education, not for more money".

I have acquaintances who are teachers and a good friend who is a
professor of microbiology so I've not put them in the same class as
the cock worker's union.

Ask your friends what they think of the union. Personally the only thing
they ever did for me was negotiate a pay cut.

Standing up for principles has bitten me in the ass more times that
I care to count, and I don't seem to ever learn from my... mistakes?
The minute ANY arm twisting starts I become immotile and my middle
digit seems to stand to attention on it's own. As for your final
quandary, I suspect it's that latter as well.

I've done myself out of a couple of good paying jobs with good
benefits that way. Also missed out on a couple of good women.

Big Sigh Ditto.
But at least I still have my finger to keep me warm.