Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Suspended Drywall Ceiling

On Nov 11, 1:42*pm, LdB wrote:
RickWeb wrote:
Hi,

I have an idea for my basement ceiling and was wondering if anyone has
done something similar. I want access to the wires, pipes etc in the
basement ceiling and do not want to use the typical t-bar ceiling.

I was thinking about making ten I-Beams about 4 or 5 inches in height
out of wood and installing then to my floor joists. *They would be
spaced about 24" apart. I then plan to rest a piece of drywall (about
26" wide) on the top edge of the bottom plate of each I-Beam. *The
drywall would be suspended and easily removable. *The bottom plate of
the I-Beam is then stained to match the fireplace mantle, wet bar, and
built in book shelfs. I will need about ten I-Beams at 12 feet in
length (think of these as Main-T's) and I will then place shorter
wooden I-Beams as cross T's.

Anyone see an issue with this method? *My only concern is the sagging
of the drywall. *If it is spaced no more than 24" apart, do you think
it will sag?

So...wooden I-beams like below with drywall resting on the lower plate
of each I-Beam. *That's it.
__ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * __
_|_ _______________ _|_
* * * * * * *drywall

Thanks,

In the basement of my last house I made T-bar out of oak then used
ceiling tiles. Looked very good. I'm sure my ex wife appreciates all
the work I did.

I wouldn't use drywall in place of tiles, looks cheap. *You can buy a
1/2" low sag drywall made for ceilings if you insist. I used that
stuff in my new house, it works.

As for the guy that said he wouldn't worry about access to the
ceiling, I used to love the looks on peoples faces when I told them
the drywall ceiling's *gotta go. *I don't know what people are
thinking. There is know way of knowing what the future is hiding.
Sooner or later someone is going to want access into *the *ceiling.

LdB- Hide quoted text -

Sooner or later someone is going to want access into the
ceiling.

I had the same thought when I added a bathroom in my basement. It is
the only section where the ceiling is drywalled. Other than pipes and
wires, the only 2 items that might require access are the gas shutoff
and the water pressure reducer.

When I drywalled the ceiling I made the conscious decision to put in a
small access panel for the gas valve, but buried the PRV. "If I need
to get to it, I'll deal with it then."

10 years later, when I had to replace the PRV, I cut a hole, replaced
the part and added an access panel in case I ever have to replace it
again. It was the exact same amount of work as if I have installed the
access panel when I built the bathroom, but I didn't want to take the
time to do it based on the *chance* that I would need to replace the
PRV.