Posted to alt.home.repair
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default Looking at Cable TV options

dadiOH wrote:

desgnr wrote:
What is best ?
Comcast Cable TV or Satellite TV
If Satellite which provider is best deal ?

Best? There is no best. They all give you a jillion stations most
of which no one in their right mind ever watches and all of which are
loaded to the gills wih commercials. And at an inflated price
*because* they are giving you all that junk.

Why can't we pay a basic fee for service and then pick and choose the
channels we want?

The television industry has actively fought a la carte cable/satellite
because they see it as a threat to their profits. So guess who wins that
fight, the consumer, or an industry that can spend millions lobbying
politicians? But I've read that some Canadian cable companies have packages
where the consumer picks the five or ten or fifteen etc. channels he
wants--I'd consider getting cable again (despite their average annual price
increases of up to 6%) if that were available. Until then I see no reason
to pay for dozens of channels I don't have the slightest interest in
watching.

Most of the folks I know who have Comcast say it's a tough company to deal
with if you have problems--they really don't want to hear from you if you
need help. Comcast is a network of local systems they bought up, so their
technical and consumer-support quality apparently varies between regions.