Posted to alt.home.repair
RickWeb RickWeb is offline

Default Suspended Drywall Ceiling

On Nov 11, 11:10*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 11, 8:38*am, RickWeb wrote:

Hi,

I have an idea for my basement ceiling and was wondering if anyone has
done something similar. I want access to the wires, pipes etc in the
basement ceiling and do not want to use the typical t-bar ceiling.

I was thinking about making ten I-Beams about 4 or 5 inches in height
out of wood and installing then to my floor joists. *They would be
spaced about 24" apart. I then plan to rest a piece of drywall (about
26" wide) on the top edge of the bottom plate of each I-Beam. *The
drywall would be suspended and easily removable. *The bottom plate of
the I-Beam is then stained to match the fireplace mantle, wet bar, and
built in book shelfs. I will need about ten I-Beams at 12 feet in
length (think of these as Main-T's) and I will then place shorter
wooden I-Beams as cross T's.

Anyone see an issue with this method? *My only concern is the sagging
of the drywall. *If it is spaced no more than 24" apart, do you think
it will sag?

So...wooden I-beams like below with drywall resting on the lower plate
of each I-Beam. *That's it.
__ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * __
_|_ _______________ _|_
* * * * * * *drywall

Thanks,

If you are worried about sagging (I would be) you could put some 1 x 2
furring strips, standing on edge, on the back of the drywall to keep
it rigid.

Another concern is how easily drywall chips and gouges, I would be
concerned that it would be easily damaged as you remove/insert it. I
realize that you won't be doing it very often, but once you chip a
corner, you might have trouble repairing it and hiding the repair.

Good idea to add the furring strips. As you noted, the edges are a
concern. The pieces of drywall will not be removed often
(hopefully). I thought about adding some type of tape (Tuck Tape
maybe) to the cut edges to prevent any gypsum from falling. Of
course, the tuck tape will be covered by the edge of the I-Beam.