Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default desktop seam support question

dadiOH wrote:
DJ Delorie wrote:
"dadiOH" writes:
Why would it be messed up?

Where the two sections meet is an inside corner. Any non-flat edge
would have to be coped into the other section.

I must be missing someting...I can't see that what you drew (and, sorta,
what I proposed) would present any problems, inside corner or not. Cut
rabbet in each, from top on one, from bottom of other and lay it on. You
are "coped" automatically.

And, of course, if you were to choose to do that in this instance
structurally you'd want the rabbet to be on the top of the center piece
so the unbroken surface is on the bottom for maximum strength. The
problem w/ this is that it would require the edges be parallel or one
end to go in first followed by the other for assembly or putting one of
the two tops on after in place which wouldn't be all that convenient.

So, given the top is 1" material, the choice would be to make the rabbet
fairly shallow so there's a thick-enough lip to support the way and the
aforementioned unanticipated weight issues above.

Which, all in all, is why I suggested the moulding as the primary
support and the spline to serve as the alignment initially...