Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default O/T: One Down

Greg G. wrote:
diggerop said:

"Greg G." wrote in message

Not having grown up in a union area, I missed the **** they were
involved in and where much of the animosity towards them stemmed
from. Don't have a problem with workers organizing for a united
voice, but many unions, like most hired guns, seem to end up
thoroughly corrupt.

My grandfather was jailed for going on strike in his youth. A
decent man who was prepared to stand by his principles. Ultimately,
he went into politics. Instilled in the family that standing up for
what you believed in was the only way to live.
Ironically, standing by my principles, led me in the opposite
direction. I was doing some contract work for an employer who paid
better than anyone in the construction industry and treated his
employees as if they were family. The construction union gained
access to that particular site through a sweetheart deal with the
prime contractor.
Compulsory unionism had by then been outlawed. (HA! Sure it had.)
Some of my employers people joined up, each for their own reasons.
Myself and a couple of others opted not to.
So then the games began. After another week, I was the only holdout.
The daily visits from the union organiser included conversations
along the lines of, "We'd really like you to join us, we would never
force you to, just remember, you have a choice." Then the crap
started. Two or three times a day, they pulled a stop work meeting.
The entire site was involved. Immediately before each stop work, the
organiser would come to me and let me know that there was going to
be a problem but he wanted to personally assure me that it had
nothing to do with me not being a union member. Riiiiight! The prime
contractor asked my employer to remove me, he declined and get this!
- the union rep said if I was removed from site they would strike
over that - because they supported a man's right to free choice!
After a week, I capitulated and joined up. If not, I believe they
would have sent my employer broke. I then immediately resigned my
position, - that was perfectly ok, - as a union member that was my
right!
I've refused to work on any site that has union involvement from
that day on.
Looking back, I'm not sure who I'm angrier with, - the union for
their corrupt tactics, - or myself for my lack of balls in giving
in to them. I somehow suspect it's the latter. : )

diggerop

And this was in AU. or have you lived in the US?
Never joined or had the desire to join a union, even if they had been
prevalent in this area. Figured I could negotiate a better deal on my
own behalf anyway. Most of my employers in the past were small
businesses and I liked it that way. Like you said, more like family.
Had a few friends in the Brotherhood of Electrical workers and have
know a few pipefitters in the Navy shipyards but didn't keep up with
much of what went on there.

At one time, they served a purpose and helped improve conditions for
some mightily downtrodden workers. Self-serving thugs are not
something I cater too, however. Even the NEA is suspect at this point.

If you mean the teacher's union and not the Federal arts supporter, they've
been suspect forever. I remember when I was a kid, the day before they went
on strike, my algebra teacher told the class "we're striking to improve
education, not for more money".

Standing up for principles has bitten me in the ass more times that I
care to count, and I don't seem to ever learn from my... mistakes?
The minute ANY arm twisting starts I become immotile and my middle
digit seems to stand to attention on it's own. As for your final
quandary, I suspect it's that latter as well.

I've done myself out of a couple of good paying jobs with good benefits that
way. Also missed out on a couple of good women.

But of all the union and professional groups in existence, the worst
one I've seen yet are the "Brothers and Sisters of the Bar." Crikey!

Greg G.