Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default desktop seam support question

DJ Delorie wrote:
Still working on my new desk: http://www.delorie.com/wood/desk/

Today's question is about supporting the center section of the top.
The primary support will be along the seam, held together with draw
bolts (although there's an arch across the widest part to help reduce
sagging). I want something along the seam that will align the
sections vertically as well as support the center section. My
original idea was just biscuits, but now I'm thinking floating tenons
would be better. Comments? Ideas? Suggestions?

Probably too low tech for you but I'd just add a board under the side
modules that extends, say, 3/4" past the top. The corner module would then
sit on those and be held to the side modules with the draw bolts (which
might need a smidge of updown wobble). Alternatively, a couple of
threaded inserts along the underside of each side of the center module,
bolts through the added boards into them; taper the center module edges
slightly downward for easy bolt insertion and a "just grew there" look when
snugged up.

That would add a new problem in as much as ends of the boards would be
visible. Two solutions...

1. Make them maybe only 2/3 - 3/4 as long as the side modules are wide. Not
totally invisible but unless someone is crawling around on the floor they
wouldn't be seen.

2. Put a keyboard tray or drawer under the center module. This would get my
vote.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...