Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Is an RCBO an adequate replacement for an isolator?

"Tim W" wrote in message
Sidney Endon-Lee
wibbled on Wednesday 11 November 2009 14:32

Than-you for all of the very quick replies. I hope I can clear a
couple of things up

My place is one of a large development of purpose-built flats, built
by the GLC in the 1970s. They all have Wylex rewireable fuses

Whilst a rewireable fuse isn't inherently bad *providing* no-one lashes in
the wrong size wire or a nail (which is the main criticism, along with the
lack of ease of resetting them) - but the lack of RCD protection is well
worth the effort of upgrading the CU. It's also an excellent opportunity
assess the state of the wiring via the PIR type checks that anyone
changing
a CU should be doing. 1970's wiring should be fine, but checks could still
uncover problems or even original errors like broken rings and dodgey
earths.

In my experience the most common problems found in 1970s installations are

There is no main or supplementary bonding, the landing lightswitch is fed
off the downstairs lighting circuit and takes it's neutral from the upstairs
circuit, high readings on the ring continuity (as you pointed out) and
unfortunately bad DIY.

Minor faults are usually no earth sleeving or red sleeving on the lighting
circuits and the odd brocken switch or socket.

The main reasons I get asked to change CUs are (in no particular order)

1. Just bought a house
2. Rewires
3. Selling a house
4. Wants to rent a house
5. The fuse box has melted etc
6. Addition works such as electric showers or extensions

However, this might be something to watch out for - is the company
actually
on the lookout for additional work, with the risk that they might invent
problems that can only be cured with a full rewire. Worth being ready to
challenge them on that, should it happen. Make sure they don't start any
work wihtout an agreed price and scope.

An excellent suggestion. Although there is more money in changing a CU than
there is in fixing any additional work.

Maybe an alterative quote from someone else would tell you if their standard
rate is a fair price.

Adam