Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default water pressure too high

rlz wrote:
The water pressure coming into the house from the street is about 100
psi, if not higher. This causes a problem in our bathtub/shower unit.
Our tub has individual H/C valves that feed into the tub and shower
head. When the valves are open, water comes out of the tub spicket,
but then will also drip out of the shower head. This happens more
intendely if both vales are completely open, but also happens if the
valves are partially open (of course not as much) I'm pretty sure
that this is being caused by the high water pressure. I don't suspect
a blockage in the valves or spickets, since I recently replaced them.
I've thought about the closing the shutoff valves behind the tub, but
I don't want to restrict the volumn, since this is for a large jetted
tub, which takes a wile anyway to fill up. Any ideas?

Rob

You just need to install a pressure regulator and thermal expansion
tank. The 100 psi was never intended for direct use. It is just classic
good design to have high pressure in any sort of main line and a
regulator near the point of utilization. For some reason they left the
regulator out in your house.