Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Clamp meters: Peak vs. In-rush?

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 00:18:20 -0800, notme wrote:

I found this description on the Fluke 33x virtual demo page:

"Note: In-rush current measurements done with a 330 Series Clamp Meter will
differ from Min/MAX, Peak, or Peak-Hold measurements which are not triggered
events."

Sounds like other than auto-triggering, the results are the same.

Dave

Like this?

Apply power, inrush current is 10A for .2 seconds.
Current drops to 1.2A for 2 seconds.
Current rises to 12.5A for 1 second.
Current drops to 1.2A until termination.

So the Inrush reading would be 10A, and the Max reading would be
12.5A. I can see some usefulness for this, since a max only meter
would falsly read 12.5A which the user might attribute to the inrush
current, instead of the event at 2 seconds.