Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Bimetalic domes

wrote in message
On Nov 8, 8:42 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
As used in thermal switches. Instead of in form of a bimetal strip and
continuous curving with temperature, these are 0.5 inch diameter and make

definite flip from concave to convex at a specific temperature. About 1mm

of
abrupt movement gives a very positive transition for the switch contacts.
Would it be possible to change the characteristic temperature by grinding
back a spot/ring/radii? on one face? which face? or would it just destroy
the action/activation force?

I have been waiting for someone to suggest that the temperature at
which they switch is controlled by how domed the discs are. At least
that is my guess. Suggest you get some rubber and a ballpein hammer.
Test what the temperature is that one switches at, and then make in a
bit more domed and see if that changed the temperature at which it
switches. My guess is that more domed means more change from ambient
temperature before it switches.

Dan

I will give it a go with large ballbearing in a cup and a press. But the
full range of temp (10 to 220 deg C at least) switches all come in the same
size package and the internal spaces and activation pins are the same
dimensions including degree of doming, all that changes is the materials or
construction within the domes. Normally open for the same temp normally
closed is simply just the same dome in, the other way up