Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b charlie b is offline

Default And on to finials

If you're thinking in terms of a short lid "pull" - then you're probably
ok making
it an integral part of the lid of an acrossed the grain piece. If, on
the other
hand, you have a taller, more delicate FINIAL in mind for lifting the
lid off
- probably not a good idea since the grain orientation will make it
pretty
easy for you or someone else to snap it off.

I get from other information that you provided that you're not real sure
about wood movement - as the piece dries - and once dry, how it will
change with changes in temperature and humidity. Not accounting for
those changes can be a real problem when you add a lid to something,
be it a bowl or a lidded box - especially when the piece isn't turned
"end grain".

You might want to have a look at this stuff on SHRINKAGE I'm working
on as an article on the importance - or not - of UNIFORM WALL THICKNESS
- a Common Knowledge Rule - which seems to be not quite true.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...inkageTOC.html

Comments, questions, suggestions for improving, missing critical
issues, flat out error detection, etc. would be appreciated.