Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default how they do it (digression, explosive welding, copper clad cookware)

Bill McKee wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Bill McKee wrote:

Kaiser Steel figured out the original Aluminum to steel "welding" Was
used
in the armor plating of tanks. Abrams I think.

Armco steel, (Now A-K Steel) developed the aluminum clad stainless
steel used for catalytic converters. It was great for body work, too.

I got to tour the Armco rolling mill in Middletown, OH when it opened. One
of the more impressive experiences. 50 ton block of steel goes into an oven
to get red hot and then sheared off in to manageable pieces. That
eventually are rolled out to very long sheets of steel. Those big rolls of
steel you see at times.

I lived near the 'Project 600' plant for 20+ years. The original
'rolling mill' was built in the late 1800s. 'Project 600' was its
replacement and the first computerized steel mill in the US. The air
was red with rust, until the old mill was decommissioned, years after
'Project 600' was in full operation. It was used to make specialty
steels, while 'Project 600' made steel for the big three auto companies
and several companies that built major appliances. It also made the
steel skin for their 'Armco Steel Buildings' division.

Early pilots used the red cloud as a navigation aid. Some days it
could be spotted 100 miles away. The original plant had so much of that
fine rust clinging to the inside walls and roof that part of the complex
collapsed.

I had a friend who was their analytic chemist. He did all the stack
sampling tests, as well as chemical testing of the various alloys. He
got me a few pieces of aluminized stainless in the late '80s to repair
the sliding doors on my stepvan. That stuff was hard to drill!