Posted to alt.home.repair
Lp1331 1p1331 Lp1331 1p1331 is offline

Default water pressure too high

I was talking to some customers where I was doing an a/c install a while
back, and they were telling me that they had their nearly new water
softener blew out some seal on it. It was repaired under warranty, but
the repairman told them the water pressure was way too high-- forget the
exact pressure-- and that they would have to have a pressure regulator
installed (and probably that if they didn't, they would not repair the
seal again free). Anyway, he said the city was raising the pressure to
insure adequate pressure in the outlaying areas that were rapidly being
developed, and it was causing all kinds of problems. Lucky for the OP,
he didn't find out with some kind of catostrophic rupture/blowout, and
resulting flood. The water softener people were lucky the softener was
in the garage with a lower floor than the house, so they had minimal
damage. They had a regulator installed right away, as did a lot of their
neighbors. I've never checked mine, but it is a private water system
with it's own well that only services this (about 40 y/o) subdivision of
100 or so homes. Larry