Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Does soldering violate electrical codes?

On Nov 10, 8:42*pm, "news.eternal-september.org"
wrote:
,
Existential Angst typed:

Awl --

Does soldering #12 or #14 wires before placing a wire nut on them
violate any codes?
Can soldering + electrical tape (or bug tape) *substitute* for a wire
nut? Ditto with thicker wires and "bugs".

tia

It may or may not be allowed; the ONLY place to get a reliable answer from
would be your local code enforcement office. *When I lived in Chicago, it
was legal there. *It's legal here where i live now, too. *But it's NOT legal
in Ct, Ca, or in most of the southers states. *Remember, the NEC is minimum
requirements: Your local codes have the very last word as long as they don't
violate the NEC.
* *So, give the code office a call. *They're almost always good guys, and
you don't have to identify yourself.

HTH,

Twayne`

Soldering may or may not violate the most applicable codes but I
don't know of any jurisdiction where soldering is required. I for one
would be interested in knowing of anyplace where solder joints were
required.

Jimmie