Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default homemade flex couplers

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 22:34:27 -0800, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:03:40 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Nov 10, 4:36 pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:09:39 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 06:24:49 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Nov 10, 9:10 am, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:59:02 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

(view in Courier or other fixed font)
.--.
.
.--. \
. . |
/ \ / b.
| - |//|
a. |'--. .----. /
| - |/
\ / /
/. .:
/ ' -- ' :
bore _
|=|
|=|
[___] --clamp screw

a = "hinge"
b = "cut"

I've made some homemade flex couplers using setscrews to bite the
shafts, but clamps are sooo much classier.

This crappy drawing is an end view of the clamp portion of a
helical
flexible beam coupler. Question: how's that cut made, from b. to
a.?
Slitting saw. If you were to look at a section thru the cut you'd
see
a radius equal to that of the saw adjacent to "a" in your drawing.

--
Ned Simmons
Really? I just posted the opposite, that the cut's square-bottomed,

Would the hinge be flexible enough with a big arc of metal left at
the
bottom of that cut? I wouldn't think so, but if you're right it
must
be.

I've got a Helical brand beam coupling and a Huco Oldham coupling in
front of me and both have a radiused bottom on the slit on the far
side of the bore.

Without that radius at the bottom you would have a real nasty stress
point at the corners of the slot.

Indeed.

Say..if there are any questions..why not call Rocom..makers of Rocom
Couplers

http://www.rocomcorp.com/

One of my clients, and a friend.

Ask for the Big Kahuna...tell him Gunner refered you.

Nice stuff they have there Gunner, but buying couplers would be
faster, easier, better, and cheaper. That kinda defeats the whole
purpose of making your own, doesn't it?

Grins,
James Arthur

You guys actually buy em? Damn..and Ive been getting all mine free.

The OmniTurn CNC lathes that I service use 2 of them and I keep a
handful in the truck all the time. Course..the owner is my
friend....G

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Or you are stuck in a lime grove in the middle of no where in Southern
California with the flex coupler on an older Mercedes steering broke. My
dad manufactured a new one out of an old tire they found. Always good to be
handy. This was back in about 1960.

Indeed. Ive seen that done more than once, including big trucks. My
mechanic rebuilt the flex on my old drill rig out on the line in the
middle of sweet **** all in Montana, using a tire. It was still in
there when I quit Western Geophysical a couple years and 5 states later.