Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Fluke DMMs and VFD motor drives

DaveC wrote:

A scope meter is the best tool for such a job..

[Jamie]

Why?

Also, I already have a hand-held scope (Tektronix) so I don't want to spend
$$ unnecessarily on features I already have in maybe another tool.

Dave

Because working with VFD's, especially with Vector mode drives, You see
a lot more happening in the output over what a DMM can show you.

Even my Fluke 289 with it's low pass will give incorrect readings of
what is really happening if a Vector drive isn't tuned, incorrect
induction values, defective encoder, something etc..

If all you're looking for is a ball park figure, then I guess you could
use a low pass DMM.

It's up to you.

For every man, they have their own tool!