Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering Just Wondering is offline

Default Li tool warning - a really long rant Part 1

wrote:

clipped for brevity

Seems like many "pros"
have had a lot of problem with this new slimline version of the LI
drills and tools. I think just about any comparison between tools and
their corresponding performance using these tools would be accurate as
Ridgid, DeWalt and Milwaukee all use A123 brand Li batteries, and I
think Makita does as well.

clipped

So to put this into perspective for those that like visual aids
compared to the written word, here is a vid that graphically shows the
difference between a 1.5 and 3 Ah battery performance. Remember, same
cell mfg, same technology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnF2Uh4oFfg

Note that the 3 Ah battery drilled 37 1/2 holes, compared to FIVE
holes (are you kidding me... FIVE holes... they should rebrand that
tool as Fischer Price !!) from the 1.5 Ah batteried drill. There is
plenty more empirical evidence available to show this is NOT unusual,
or even out of the norm. I would care if it drilled ten holes, I
would still be saying, "that's it ?!?!".

I just took my Makita drill, using an 18V 1.5Ah Li battery, to a scrap
2x6. It drilled 49 (that's forty-nine) one-half diameter inch holes on
one charge. (The battery petered out half way through hole #50).
That's almost half again as many as the DeWalt drill with 3Ah battery in
your linked video.

Just for fun:

Here's a YouTube video showing that Makita drills really rock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L2ntzCTZHY

Here's proof, though, that DeWalt drills are built tough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-djdG...eature=related

Milwaukee and DeWalt compete for torque:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvgQSuE7Fds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrTrcxOWwIg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezgXqyvfzUs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR075mRCUHo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_P8YD3hGg4

- - -

Ever wonder what's really in a car battery?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_8n2Qgguto&feature=fvw