Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default BT phone line

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:49:05 -0000, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
had this to say:

Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:45:51 -0000, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

Have BT actually said they'll definitely make the charge? Quite
often they don't charge at all for activating an existing line

But it is a *new* line! New property, new line.

Why should it be free, or subsidised? That would only mean that
existing BT subscribers would be paying for it.

I'm sorry, but I don't see why I should pay for someone else's new
phone line.

Because it's already there! All the real work's already been done, surely,
or am I missing something?

You're missing something.

There isn't (normally) a single pair going back to the exchange from
your premises. Lines go through one or more 'flexibility points'
(cabinets and, at one time (there are still a few!) pillars), as well
as the actual DP (pole or wall-mounted distribution point).

In the 60s, the predicted takeup of telephone service was typically
assumed as some 20 - 50% of premises (this was assessed by the Sales
Group), and would certainly assume no more than one line per premise.

These flexibility points allowed (obviously) some variation across an
area, but there were (are) some cases where there are loads of local
wires, but few spare ones to the exchange. In many cases link pairs
were provided between cabinets so that the PO could enable service
under varying circumstances.

Nowadays, it's even more complicated. Many (even residential) premises
have more than one line; others use lines provided by cable TV
companies, or purely mobile phones.

Clearly Openreach want to maximise use of their copper (or sometimes
aluminium) wires around the place.

--
Frank Erskine