Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney Wayne Whitney is offline

Default wiring code ? for a detached garage

On 2009-11-10, jamesgangnc wrote:

Your list of items basically captures what I have but there is also
house fixtures on the same switches.

That's fine, it doesn't change anything I said.

I still need to install ground rods at the garage. It's 2 now isn't
it?

You need a grounding electrode system, which consists of
interconnecting _all_ the electrodes present. Then if there aren't
enough present, you need to add more. See NEC article 250 part III,
starting at 250.50.

Common electrodes a qualifying rebar or a 20' length of bare #4
copper wire in the footer of a foundation (required for new
construction, otherwise only if accessible), any metallic water pipe
that is buried for at least 10', and ground rods. The first one
(called a concrete encased electrode, or CEE) is deemed adequate by
itself; the other two are not adequate by themselves are require a
second electrode (which could be a ground rod).

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Wayne