Posted to rec.woodworking
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default O/T: One Down

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:58:42 -0800, "CW"

wrote:

wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:37:40 -0600, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

These days, you would have a hard time trying to get plastic
eyeglass
lenses that don't have scratch coating. It's pretty much
standard.
Yea, standard if you ask for it. Every place I've seen around
here it's an added cost option.

Nope. If someone is charging you extra for scratch coating,
walk out
and go elsewhere. I have news for you. If you don't order that
extra
cost option, the lenses will still have it. The thing to avoid
is the
optional anti-glare coating. That is an extra cost option,
which they
put on OVER the scratch coating, and it's not scratch
resistant.

That is why I get "glasses" not "plastics", with the anti-glare
coating on my glasses I find I no longer need to have sun
glasses, or those silly clipon things.

Over the past 2 months, I had both cataracts replaced with the
inserted lens'. The ones I got are called Restore, and like most
nowadays, have a built-in UV coating to stop ultraviolet light.
What's cooler is that they are also a yellow color and block a lot
of the blue light as well, like the natural lens. The result is
that I have built-in sunglasses. Of course, there's always a
downside, and the lens' don't let in as much light as one without
the blue blocker, but it is supposed to also help prevent macular
degeneration.

Now, if they only could act as safety glasses in the shop. sigh
FWIW, I wore glass glasses since second grade, and that was a LONG
time ago. During my teen years, I was drilling a pilot hole for a
screw with a 1/8" bit. The bit broke and I suddenly had a line
across my glasses. The bit had hit exactly in the center,
breaking the lens. I can't imagine what it'd have done to my eye.
Years later: over 40 years to be exact, I was preparing to drill
a 1/8" hole in some angle iron on my drill press. Years earlier,
I'd given up the glasses for contact lenses, and then after LASIK
surgery, had done away with corrective lenses entirely. I always
remembered the incident as a teen, though I'd become very lax in
wearing safety glasses for most actions. In this case, I stopped
what I was doing and got my safety glasses out of the tool box.
They were almost crusted with dust, so I went to the shop sink and
washed them off.

When I started drilling, I pressed too hard and the drill bit
shattered. As you may have guessed, there was a smack on my
safety glasses and a divot appeared right in the center of where
my pupil was (safely) behind the safety glasses.

--
Nonny

You cannot make a stupid kid smart by
handing him a diploma. Schools need standards
to measure the amount of education actually
absorbed by children. Don't sacrifice the smart
kids to make the dumb ones feel good about themselves.