Posted to rec.woodworking
sibosop sibosop is offline

Default Changing a Walker Turner saw from 220 to 120

On Nov 10, 9:44*am, Nova wrote:
sibosop wrote:

Oh man. Maybe that beautiful saw would make a nice doorstop...
I've currently got 12 gauge wire going out there (it's about 100
feet).
I'm going to have to pull the conduit to run the extra wire through
there.
I was thinking 12 gauge 3 conductor 220v out to the shed with a
small breakout panel in the shed for the 110 circuit with 20 amp
fuses.
I have two 220V circuits on my house box. 20 amp (for drier i guess)
and 30 amp (for stove I guess). I haven't looked under there yet.
I'm hoping that it's wired 3 conductor and not 2. The house was
rewired in the early
70s...

Or maybe I should be smart and find an electrician.

Calling an electrician might be a good idea. *It sounds as if you are
planning to leave the existing 110V service in place and run the 220V
service through the existing 110V conduit. *To meet code there are
"conduit fill" requirements that have to be met and the existing conduit
may not be large enough.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Thanks everyone, for all the great info.
I've decided to go to an electrician. I got the name of
one with 'glowing' references.
Fooling around with 220 has pushed me beyond my
comfort level. My 'current' system is not really
upgradable.
The saw will make a nice dead flat surface till I can
get it fired up again.
Maybe that old delta benchtop isn't so bad..