Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default O/T: One Down

HeyBub wrote:
Greg G. wrote:

Slight correction.

We're running out of
room and resources here, unless you consider every square mile of dry
land seething with humans to the exclusion of all else to be a
desirable situation.

If all the people on earth were stacked up like cordwood, they would fit in
a cubic mile. (1 person = 10 cu ft, 1 cubic mile = 147 billion cu ft = 15
billion people per cu mile - allowing for some wiggle room)

If all the people of earth were living in an area with the population
density of Hong Kong, they would fit in Mauritania. Population density of
Hong Kong 16,500/sq mile, 6 billion folks / 16,500 = 410,000 sq mi required.
Mauritania is about that size, as is Bolivia and Ethiopia. You could fit ten
times the earth's population in the United States.

Therefo

Virtually every resource is more abundant today than it was in 1980. See the
Simon-Ehrlich Wager (Ehrlich of "The Population Bomb" book, Julian Simon of
"The Ultimate Resource").

Conclusion: We are running out of neither room nor resources and that the
fullness of time has proven wrong virtually every prediction of the prophets
of doom (global cooling, Malthusian theory, oil, etc.).

If anyone thinks the earth is overcrowded, they haven't driven through
Nevada or most other parts of the western US. As my contractor Dad used
to say, "Lot of room for improvement".