Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default how they do it (digression, explosive welding, copper clad cookware)

"Joe" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 01:46:25 -0600, "William Wixon"
wrote:

I remember reading that the process used by the Mint for forming
tri-clad coins was invented (patented?) by the company that makes the
very good but outrageously expensive All-Clad cookware. I think that
their sucess at the coin process led them to introduce the cookware.

Joe

DuPont patented the process of explosion welding that was originally used
for the clad coins, but they stopped using the method somewhere along the
line and now use some sort of rolling method to do it.

http://www.dynamicmaterials.com/data...%20History.pdf

--
Roger Shoaf