Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com is offline

Default homemade flex couplers

On Nov 10, 9:50 am, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 06:24:49 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Nov 10, 9:10 am, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:59:02 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

(view in Courier or other fixed font)
.--.
.
.--. \
. . |
/ \ / b.
| - |//|
a. |'--. .----. /
| - |/
\ / /
/. .:
/ ' -- ' :
bore _
|=|
[___] --clamp screw

a = "hinge"
b = "cut"

I've made some homemade flex couplers using setscrews to bite the
shafts, but clamps are sooo much classier.
This crappy drawing is an end view of the clamp portion of a helical
flexible beam coupler. Question: how's that cut made, from b. to a.?

Slitting saw. If you were to look at a section thru the cut you'd see
a radius equal to that of the saw adjacent to "a" in your drawing.

--
Ned Simmons

Really? I just posted the opposite, that the cut's square-bottomed,
but now that you say it I'm not so sure.

Would the hinge be flexible enough with a big arc of metal left at the
bottom of that cut? I wouldn't think so, but if you're right it must
be.

I've got a Helical brand beam coupling and a Huco Oldham coupling in
front of me and both have a radiused bottom on the slit on the far
side of the bore.

--
Ned Simmons

Thanks! I just spent half an hour digging to see if I had one
somewhere, but couldn't find a dang thing.

'Preciate that.

James Arthur