Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com is offline

Default homemade flex couplers

On Nov 10, 6:33 am, "Nik Rim" wrote:
wrote in message

(view in Courier or other fixed font)
.--.
.
.--. \
. . |
/ \ / b.
| - |//|
|.--' '----'/ .
a. |'--. .----. /
| - |/
\ / /
/. .:
/ ' -- ' :
bore _
|=|
[___] --clamp screw

a = "hinge"
b = "cut"

I've made some homemade flex couplers using setscrews to bite the
shafts, but clamps are sooo much classier.
This crappy drawing is an end view of the clamp portion of a helical
flexible beam coupler. Question: how's that cut made, from b. to a.?

TIA,
James Arthur

you mean on ones like these:

http://eolsurplus.com/images/Helical6005-12-6.jpg

Yes, exactly, and it's the slit that forms the clamp that I don't get--
it's deep and narrow, with a blind, square bottom.

How do they do that?

I made my own by turning and boring a cylinder (steel), then saw-
cutting slits to create the flexible surfaces. They're surprisingly
nice, and not that hard to make.

But, the setscrew thing mars the shafts, and doesn't grip as securely
as a clamp. (I guess I could stuff a wad of brass in front of the
screw-tips to prevent the marring, come to think of it).

James Arthur